Sounding Board 
    



HOME

ARCHIVES


An occasional forum on politics, DC, and maybe the environment.

 

Monday, March 08, 2004

 
RelaunchI'd like to try something a little different here. After a year or so of keeping up with blogs I've come to the conclusion that I don't really have the time or inclination to do what is expected of a public blog. People like Kos and Atrios set the standard in this field and I can never really foresee myself having enough time and energy to keep up. It's clear to me that a good blog is like a running commentary; one that maintains its connection with the readership thorough frequent posts on the issue of the day. If there isn't new content at least every day (and more frequently than that is preferred) the connection atrophies and people stop paying attention.

Atrios keeps up the pace by writing short pieces on current news stories that maybe aspire to provide a little context (from his perspective, of course) but generally just to highlight news he finds interesting. His commentary is incisive and smart, but sparse. The amazing thing is that he seems to read everything and thus, it's hard to imagine he has a job (much less kids). Checking in with his site is a great way to keep up on what's going on and can be a real eye-opener for those who are not entirely up to speed on the failings of traditional media coverage. I am much more attuned to distorted coverage as a result of reading his site. That said, it's not something I can really do for a number of reasons. Besides, what can I really add?

Kos writes longer pieces and is less referential to current events but he also provides a great deal of information (like polling) that is difficult to find otherwise. He produces an amazing amount of original content (with some help from other contributors). Obviously, it is his nearly full-time vocation and he has managed to parlay his work into a business enterprise. It's a great blog and well worth reading, but I can't possibly do anything like it.

The short of it is the objective of blogging, as I've seen it, is to build up a readership until you become a voice that people feel is indispensable until finally you ... well, I don't really know. Kos will make money as a consultant and I'm willing to bet Atrios ends up some kind of columnist. Neither is my path.

What I'd really like to do is have a few running conversations, with people whose opinions I respect, about issues that interest me. I might gain some new insight and improve my thinking a little. The fact is, I think we all think a little clearer when we are forced to write our arguments with a belief we have to defend them. One side benefit is I may improve my writing a bit as well. A primary benefit to my friends is I will get some of this stuff off of my chest and will feel less compelled to corner you at the next gathering to foist my latest theories upon you. The massive benefit to my wife is that she will no longer be the sole outlet for most of my missives. So, she thanks you for your participation.

What I'd like to do is present my nearly-completed thoughts on subjects and invite your criticism and debate. Use the comments if not too long, or email me if you need more space and I'll publish it. It will be intermittent and not always timely but I will try to make it substantive. I'd love for it to become a dialogue.



|

Comments: Post a Comment



This page is powered by Blogger.
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com